Monday, October 16, 2006

Must See TV


When first brainstorming what my opinion of “important television” was, I came up with nada. The only thing I noticed was that all of my favorite television shows had the same genre – comedy. I came to the conclusion that I watch Friends, Will and Grace, and Everybody Loves Raymond to laugh and get out of my world for an episode or two; because after a long hard day, it’s nice to sit back and laugh for a couple of minutes. Shows like these, the ones that have you laughing until your abs hurt, I can’t live without. However, are they important shows?

Before last Thursday’s MCOM 72 class, I thought they were, at least they were to me. But now I know that “favorite” or “good” shows may not be the “important” ones. Important shows are the ones that teach you something; or the ones that have social relevance to them; or the ones that have an underlying moral. After reassessing what I considered important, I came up with these three:

1. The Cosby Show
2. Who’s the Boss
3. The Voyage of the Mimi (LOVE THAT NAME!)

I know what you’re thinking, “Who’s the Boss, important…what???” Let me explain. But first comes first.

The Cosby Show is relevant to our society because it stars an all-Black cast which represented a wholesome, Black, middle-class family. Before The Cosby show, did you ever see any other show which starred an all Black cast that represented good, wholesome values? No. What you did see was dysfunction and the ghetto if a show were to revolve around a Black family. The show allowed society another perspective; there are good, smart African American families. Minorities have long been victims of the negative stigma that the media portrays them as. Usually Black, Hispanic, Asian actors are cast as drunkards, criminals, or just side-kicks. The Cosby Show has helped minorities get a good face and a good name within television.

Who’s the Boss also gave us a different perspective, but this time it touched base on the different gender roles within our American society. Here we have a tough, tattooed, Italian man living his life as a housecleaner for a hugely successful, career oriented WOMAN!!! (Love the premise!) We live in a world where there are “norms” for our genders when regarding the workplace. Who’s the Boss helps break this so-called-norm and makes us question whether gender really counts when careers and success is involved. The show promotes the idea that in the work arena, a woman can do anything a man can do and a man can do anything a woman can do.

The 1984 television series, The Voyage of the Mimi, was another important program. Not because it provided some different perspective but because of its educational value.
According to a review made by the The Christopher W. Forsythe Project, “The Voyage of the Mimi and The Second Voyage of the Mimi are groundbreaking programs created by The Bank Street College of Education. They were among the first multimedia materials to use interactive technologies in an inquiry-based, integrated approach to teaching and learning for the middle grades, with an emphasis on science and mathematics.” Need I say more?

So those are my three picks. What are yours?

No comments: