Sunday, August 27, 2006

Good Evening Class/World,

This is my very first blog post. I'll try to make it as interesting as possible, here goes...

While watching television one night w/ my boyfriend, Tomas, an interesting conversation was sparked between us that hasn't left my mind. Our conversation started w/ the aspect of one day vacationing in South America and veered off into the discrepancies and/or differences w/ news given or seen in America compared to news given or seen in other countries. I was well aware of the fact that from time to time news may be fabricated or "altered" if you will to benefit certain individuals or a specific group as a whole, but I forgot how easy it can be to buy into that. I felt a little ignorant and naive trying to argue with Tomas the "evil-ness" of Hugo Chavez, declaring that his own people don't even like him, for an example, and then getting a rude awakening when he explained to me the contrary. He then went on to explaining the bitter relationship between the US and Chavez and went further by explaining that Chavez is actually well-liked and popular in Venezuela, and that what gets reported here in the US about him is only what our government wants us to believe.

What I was reminded of was the difference between news reported in the US and news reported outside of the US, that just because a certain story is being reported through a well-known newspaper or news program it doens't mean that it's the "only truth". There are many interpretations to stories and many differing reasons for different interpretations. I guess what I want to post tonight is a warning to absorb news/stories/information, but do it w/ an open mind and a smart enough mind to speculate and make your own investigations before making definite conclusions.

No comments: