Sunday, December 10, 2006

What kind of media consumer am I now?

Hopefully a smarter one. =)

This blog was just supposed to be a (forgive me) stupid, tedious homework assignment that was to take up my precious time twice a week. I didn’t even know what a blog was, let alone know how to compose a blog consisting of interesting facts about the ever pervasive global media.

Lilly said that at the end of the assignment/semester, we would be able to go back and look at our very first blog and see a difference in the way we blog as well as how we view media and its various facets. She was right.

Through this blog assignment, I’ve become a smarter media consumer:

- I am no longer the average audience, blind to all the hype. I’m aware that propaganda is EVERYWHERE. Hidden messages luring me to buy, buy, buy is laced on every ad I encounter.

- I have been introduced to numerous media programs/outlets from perusing through different blogs. Thanks to James’ blog I’ve been introduced to Al Jazeera. Never before did I consider looking up Al Jazeera to get the “other side.”

- I have also been able to see and analyze some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Try looking at my photo blog roll to the right, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

- Last but not least, now I know how to BLOG! I never even heard about a blog before. I suppose I was living under a rock or something. My introduction to the blogging world has introduced me to all kinds of personalities from the keen Jeff Jarvis to the comical Dave Barry. And although I’m not quite in love with Miss DOOCE herself, Heather B, her quirky-ness is growing on me. (I like her rants about pooh better than her rants about her dog, but that’s just me.)


So I think I will keep on truckin’, I mean bloggin’ Lilly. Thanks.

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

It's great that you discovered photoblogs all by yourself. I'm ashamed to realize I never even mentioned them in class... and one of my friends back home is a photoblogger.